News / The cross returns to York Baptist Church after roof repairs

Native Architects are delighted to announce that the York Baptist Church roof repairs project is now complete with the return of the cross.

Thanks to a grant from the National Churches Trust roof repairs have been able to be undertaken on the Grade II listed York Baptist church making the building watertight and preserving its historic fabric.  Native Architects project has involved removing and replacing faulty roof coverings, resetting ridge tiles, repairing stonework and replacing missing mortar in the stone work.

Land in Priory Street was purchased in February 1866 for York Baptist church and the foundation stone was laid in January 1867. The Baptist church is the first Gothic style non-conformist chapel in the city, and one of the few still remaining. The church architect was William Peachey of Darlington and the building was opened in June 1868.