News / Looking for an architect for the first time?
Posted: 15 January 2023
Want to make changes to your home and not quite sure if you need any architect?
Recent RIBA research demonstrates, our homes, now more than ever, play an integral role in our physical and mental wellbeing, so it’s important that they are tailored to our individual needs. A good architect will propose solutions and develop your brief so that it reflects your aspirations.
Here are a few helpful hints and tips for you:
- Unless your project is very simple, its always best to contact an architect for advice.
- An architect can advise if planning permission is required.
- An architect can help with the approvals required before the project can go ahead, including the preparation of applications to the local authority for planning consent and for Building Regulations approval.
- An architect can also help you find a good reliable builder, advise on materials and provide quality control over the build, helping you to complete your project efficiently, and manage the budget.
- An architect can provide different levels of services from coming up with an initial design to seeing the project through to completion on site.
- Choosing an RIBA-accredited Chartered Practice will give you peace of mind. They comply with strict criteria covering insurance, health and safety and quality management systems.
The RIBA have a wide range of resources about working with an architect, you can read their guide, see their homeowners’ digest or explore their YouTube playlist, featuring expert advice, top tips and design inspiration from professionals. You can also start the process of engaging with an architect for your home project by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone on 01904 656133.